Ferrara Commits To 100% Reusable, Recyclable Packaging
By CandyUSA.com —
Chicago — Ferrara Candy Co., Inc. has committed to 100 percent reusable, recyclable or compostable packaging by 2025. The company has become a signatory of the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s and UN Environment Program (UNEP)’s New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, joining 500 businesses and governments with a vision of a circular economy for plastic in which it never becomes waste or pollution.
To achieve its commitment, Ferrara says it will engage its entire organization, suppliers and partners to implement the following initiatives as part of a roadmap towards 100 percent recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging by 2025:
- Eliminate unnecessary plastic packaging
- Maximize use of recycled materials suitable for consumers
- Move from single-use to reuse models where relevant by 2025
The company has also pledged to continue the following initiatives as part of its signatory status in the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment:
- Pilot new business models and solutions, including reuse models
- Eliminate problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging through redesign, innovation and new delivery models
- Engage across the packaging industry to collectively move towards sustainable packaging for meaningful, positive environmental impact
- Continue to provide consumers with information on correct disposal together with packaging disassembly and recycling tips
The commitment solidifies Ferrara’s approach to improving its packaging footprint, through this partnership, initiatives and clear targets of accountability, it states.
“For more than 100 years, Ferrara’s diverse portfolio of leading brands has shaped the industry. With that legacy comes a responsibility to use the power of those brands to make a meaningful and lasting impact on our environment,” says Todd Siwak, CEO, Ferrara. “Today, through our commitment to identify and capitalize on innovative solutions that reduce plastic waste in our products and packaging, we continue to focus on growth that is sustainable and responsible as we strive to be a better global citizen.”
“The New Plastics Economy Global Commitment unites businesses, governments and others behind a clear vision of a circular economy for plastic. We are pleased Ferrara is joining us by setting concrete 2025 targets,” says Sander Defruyt, New Plastics Economy Lead, Ellen MacArthur Foundation. “Our vision is for a world where plastic never becomes waste or pollution. It will be a challenging journey, but by coming together we can eliminate the plastics we don’t need and innovate, so the plastics we do need can be safely and easily circulated – keeping them in the economy and out of the environment.”
Share this article